Open Your Pool for the Summer
How Do I Open My Pool?
There are plenty of things to do to prepare your pool for the Summer. Below is a Physical Maintenance Self-Checklist and a Chemical Priority List.
Physical Maintenance Self-Checklist
- Remove, clean, fold and store pool cover.
- Test water balance; adjust calcium, Alkalinity, and pH levels.
- Replace stored items; ladders, auto cleaner, baskets, plugs, gauges, etc.
- Inspect and test electrical service to pumps, lights, heaters, etc. Load testing.
- Lube plugs, fittings, valves and o-rings.
- Flood lines; prime-up, start-up and adjust filtration equipment.
- Brush tiles/liner and scrub skimmers with cleanser.
- Blow off, then hose pool deck.
- Skim pool surface. Vacuum pool to waste using portable vacuum equipment.
- Super chlorinate to breakpoint levels with liquid chlorine.
- Brush pool walls and steps. Re-check chemical levels in 12-24 hrs, adjust as needed.
- Backwash filter if pressure gauge rises 8-10 lbs, or flow diminishes considerably.
Chemical Priority List
When your pool is clear, each of the following chemical groups may be adjusted in this order.
- Balancers: pH, Alkalinity, Calcium, Cyanuric Acid (for Chlorine pools)
- Sanitizers: (Chlorine, Salt, Mineral, OR Biquanide), Shock, Algaecides
- Accessory Chemicals: Clarifiers, Coloring Agents, Filter Cleaners, Flocculants
Please contact any of our helpful staff to have personalized regiments set up for your pool.